Digital But Original—The Thoughts are Handcrafted

 

Saturday, February 14, 2009

There are Few Sounds Hungrier Than a Vacuum

In case any of you are still doubting my literacy from reading my last post, I'd like to share a poem from a couple nights ago. After vacuuming in preparation for a baby shower that Jessica was hosting, listening to a grating excerpt of Schnittke viola music on public radio, and trying to feed an uncooperative baby, I wrote:

There are few sounds hungrier than a vacuum,
Its gaping maw muffled just slightly by carpet,
Except maybe a baby, who also sucks but is very soon satiated,
Subsiding to sleep in arms
Lulled softly from anxious to tranquil.
But some voids will never be plugged
Or vacated, except perhaps by a flip of the switch or power outage.
Funny how in space
You can’t even hear a vacuum scream.

2 comments:

Treva said...

I enjoyed your poem. You are a great daddy to Luke and Noah. The picture of Luke "pumping" is hilarious.

Unknown said...

Glad you hear a post from you, Jared! And I love to hear how involved you are with the kiddos! Jessica is lucky to have found such a great husband and dad! :)