Digital But Original—The Thoughts are Handcrafted

 

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jared's Parent's Mission and Other News

This is Jared writing. My parents have left on their mission to Winnipeg, Canada. They've been called not only as missionaries, but as mission mental health advisers. They're in the MTC now, but in another week they will leave for the mission field. En route, they're going to stop by and visit us. While this isn't exactly their most direct or scenic route, we're sure glad that they can come to visit. Luke and Noah especially are going to miss Grandpa and Grandma during the year and a half that they're away. Still, we know that, as missionaries, they'll bless the people greatly in Winnipeg. Love you, Mom and Dad!

Anyway, the other day, I was sitting in our La-Z-Boy rocking chair burping Noah after feeding him. Luke comes up, babbling away in his own language, and starts hitting me on the leg. At first, I told him, "No, Luke, don't hit. Do you remember that book we read called Hands Are Not for Hitting?"

Luke says some words, but he understands quite a bit more than he can verbalize. He certainly knows what it means not to hit. However, when I started rubbing the baby's back instead of patting, Luke stopped hitting and imitated my motions. I realized that this wasn't naughtiness. Luke was burping my leg!

In other momentous news from life's fleeting moments, this past week I turned 33. Hard to believe, I know. Unfortunately, in spite of Jessica's loving efforts, my birthday itself was rather awful. My insulin pump had stopped delivering insulin due to some faulty supplies. Minimed, the manufacturer, agreed, after a long night battling with alarms, conversations with technicians over the phone, and out-of-whack blood sugars, to send me a new loaner pump. That didn't fix the problem, but a different set of supplies that they have sent me since did fix things. What an ordeal!

Thankfully, I'm in better shape now, and we were able to celebrate my birthday in a more festive, healthy manner this weekend. Ok, so cheesecake isn't exactly healthy, but at least I was feeling better. Most of all, I feel blessed and grateful to have my beautiful, sweet wife and bright, energetic boys.

Sister Oberholtzer, who has been tending the children as Jessica has started working a few days a week as a dental hygienist, explains our boys' energy well. She likes to say that "Luke has been very busy." He moves chairs to enable him to climb on things and is able to reach many items, things that I was just sure he couldn't possibly get his hands on. Luke never ceases to surprise and amaze me!

Noah is quite possibly the smileyest baby ever. Whenever you look at him, he's so happy to see you. Unlike Luke, he loves to have his diaper changed as he lays there, kicks with delight, makes little cooing noises, and smiles and smiles.

Well, thanks for enduring to the end of my lengthy post. Hope that I've left you smiling because I'm feeling happy now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luke was burping your leg. I love it :-) Made me smile after the past few days of teething sleeplessness and craziness!

Unknown said...

So glad all is well with the Bernotski Family! Loves to everyone! EA

Kathryn said...

Glad to see you're back to blogging again. And I'm glad you'll see Karen and Steve on their way to Canada. Exciting for them, but my mom will miss them. Now post a few pics of that new baby please!