Digital But Original—The Thoughts are Handcrafted

 

Saturday, October 11, 2008

More Details About Noah's Birth

Now that Noah has been home for over a week and things have settled down a bit, I have a minute to describe what happened with his birth. At 12:00 pm on Tuesday, Sept. 30, Jessica was scheduled for a c-section. However, some lady who had been in labor for some time without a successful delivery cut in line for a c-section before Jessica. While, for Jessica, this certainly wasn't an amusement park ride, she did have to stand in line (lay in bed awaiting spinal anesthesia, actually). This meant that the birth did not happen till 1:24 pm.

Unlike with Luke's birth, I got to watch the surgical team cut and pull out the baby. When Luke was born, I was told that I had to stay out of viewing range since they feared a queasy, fainting father. As the surgery to delivery Noah progressed, I felt anything but queasy and was able to capture most of it on video. I'm working to put some clips together for friends' and family's viewing pleasure. Ok, so the c-section part may be a bit gory, but it is miraculous to see Noah pulled from the womb and preserve his first moments.

Just postpartum, Jessica was able to have the new little baby lifted up to her. She tells me from watching the video that she doesn't remember those moments real well. Thanks to my parents who gave us the video camera, at least she can see the video to remember better than through a drugged haze darkly.

Speaking of postpartum, Jessica is such an attentive, encouraging. mother. She loves Luke so much and is happy to have another little one to care for.

Jessica just had her staples out and has done well with her recovery, or so she tells me. Apparently, while still painful, the whole experience has been easier than what happened with Luke. She has had some pain and no longer has Vicodin to combat that. I jokingly told her that I could look online for some to purchase without a prescription from Mexico, but I believe that she is feeling better from day to day.

Anyway, returning to the birth, I was able to take Tuesday through Friday off from work. At Luke's birth, I had hardly any leave accrued and only took a couple days. I may have taken more time off still, but Jessica's mother was here, and now her sister, Kim, is visiting. We're so appreciative of all their help!

Speaking of the name Noah, I had held out on what to name the baby till I could see him. Jessica had originally liked the name Noah the most, but we also liked Andrew. Luke and Hamilton are both ancestor's names, and we also wanted the new baby to have a name with a family connection too.

I found it much easier to come up with names that would never work than names that would. For example, I ruled out Ahmadinejad Bernotski. That would be a definite no-no. However, Andrew P. Anderson was my great-grandfather on my mother's side, and we considered Andrew as a name. Noah Packard is a relative on my dad's side who was in Nauvoo and is actually mentioned once in the Doctrine and Covenants as a a leader in the high priests. Dalton, similarly, is the maiden name of Jessica's grandmother.

After seeing the baby, I liked Noah Dalton as a name, and Jessica had already picked that as a favorite name. We will probably bless and name the baby around Christmastime when we're visiting family. While we have already named him now, naming and blessing by the power of the priesthood gives the name a divine meaning and seal of approval.

Anyway, Jessica and the baby stayed in the hospital for three days due to hemorrhaging Jessica was having. There was a large clot that was keeping the uterus from contracting back to size. The nurses kept pushing on Jessica and 2.5 pounds of ick came out! Then, even after that, hospital staff wouldn't let Jessica have anything to eat or even drink for three days until her bowels were functioning.

This isn't meant to be a graphic novel, so I will leave out further illustrations. Suffice it to say that Jessica made it past the "clear liquids only" stage. She was able to leave the hospital on Friday and return home. In Noah's case, he was ready to come home. He didn't have any problems feeding and has even had his first bottle now without issue. He is a good eater and has a sweet disposition. He sleeps about two to three hours between feedings. I don't know if we can have two that are as good as Luke, but we'll wait and see. We feel so blessed to have both he and Luke in our family!

10 comments:

Maegan said...

Jess,
Sounds like quite the ordeal. I hope that you are recovering quickly. I am sure that the clots were no fun, but trust me, since I check the fundus' of uterus' of post partum women every day I work, it could have been scary, so I am sure the nurses took the best care of you and were very appropriate in the actions they took.

I hope we get to see you and Jared and Luke and Noah soon.

The Lords said...

Thank you Jared! I loved reading your entry and feelings about the whole delivery. We can't wait to meet baby Noah and to also give Luke a big smooch--mom and dad too! (: I love the name!!

rachet11 said...

awwww...
:) congrats on the newest addition you two. you two are blessed with adorable children.
Rachel culpepper :)

Sara Walker said...

I am so glad everything went well, and everyone is adapting. Tell Jessica hello!

Unknown said...

So glad everything went well. We love you and wished we lived closer so we could see you...and help! :) Loves!

The Metcalf Five said...

Thanks for sharing. I always like to hear these kinds of stories. Noah is a great name and he is such a sweet looking baby. I love all of his hair too. I was never lucky enough to get a baby with hair. All of mine were bald for the longest of times.

Hayley said...

Jessica,
It's great to know the baby arrived happy and healthy! Time is a wonderful healer for our bodies and our memory of the unpleasant parts of giving birth. Hope things continue to get better for you.

Sheryl said...

I am glad you are doing well and feeling better each day. People told me we wouldn't have another as good as Blake and we do! So you might be lucky. I know your kids are lucky to have you as their mommy.

Jeff and Steph said...

Hi Jessica!
Congratulations on your new little one- he looks absolutely perfect. I hope you and your family are doing well. Like Sheryl said, they are lucky to have you for a mommy.

Jeana said...

Jessica, Congratulations on your new little guy! I'm happy to hear that all went well and you and little Noah are home. Two are fun huh?! love, jeana jones