Digital But Original—The Thoughts are Handcrafted

 

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thoughts From Luke: "Jesus is My Friend"


When we read from The Book of Mormon as a family, which we try to do most evenings, Luke always wants to see this illustration of Christ in the Americas. Tonight, thinking I would teach him, I told him how this picture shows Jesus coming to the temple and teaching the little children.

Well, I just found out that he may know more about what actually happened than I do.

He agreed with what I was saying and informed me, "Look at the picture. There's Luke!"

I asked him, "Were you there?"

He told me that, yes, he was and that, "Jesus is my friend."

Jessica then asked him, "Was I there?" and Luke answered that she was. He also said, "Jesus is so cute and funny!"

Now, was Luke just using his imagination seeing this image? Perhaps, but he may very well have been present during his premortal state when Christ came to the Nephites. I think it is almost certain that he knows our Savior well, especially since he has only been away from His presence for a few years.

Out of the mouth of a babe, tonight I learned something new about the Lord. Since Christ possesses all worthy traits fully as part of His divine character, he certainly could be cute and funny. In my case, "cute and funny" would not have been terms that I would have considered on my own to describe our Redeemer.

However, as I imagined Luke being there in the Americas when Christ came, I thought of Christ ministering to the children. No doubt, all the children laughed and rejoiced because Jesus loved and endearingly entertained them.

"Eye hath not seen nor ear heard" are descriptions for the wonderful prayers that Jesus offered among the Nephites. In addition, Luke taught me that, no doubt, those in attendance, particularly the children, had never imagined anything so enjoyable as spending time with their greatest friend, Jesus.

I like to think that Luke knows Christ on a personal level now and that, as I become more like a little child, I can come to know the Lord's true nature better as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an inspirational evening! I sure love hearing about your little guys and the darling things they say. :)